Welcome World
So there is this on going belief that most people my age (mainly university students) can't cook and live solely off of instant noodles and cuppa soup.
Well a year and a half into Uni I can honestly say that I haven't met anyone who lives off of this diet though some of my friends do live off a rotation of about four meal they learnt how to make before leaving home as well as the old staple of oven chips. Now I'm not saying that cooking is for everyone, my house mates love food but hate to cook, but I do think that being able to feed yourself is a pretty valuable skill.
Personally cooking is my passion and one of my favourite things to do. Now I am no chef but I am confident in my ability to feed myself and others and I enjoying trying new recipes. I'm lucky to come from a family of people who love food and my brother and I were both in the kitchen from a young age 'helping' my mum. Many people I've met at uni say that the reason they 'cook from scratch is that they think it is expensive and time consuming and after watching me in the kitchen i'm not surprised they feel this way, when I'm done it generally looks like a tornado has hit the kitchen, but that is personal choice. When cooking for friends or family I put in more effort than if i'm cooking just for me so it does take longer.
In a slight turn of events I would like to use these posts on food and cooking to help other people acquire a new skill, to become accomplished in something new. All the recipes I feature are student friendly and for the majority are healthy and quick. I looked through some of the student cook books friends brought with them, gifts from well meaning family members, and realised that they are, on the whole, very basic and bland. Food doesn't have to be complicated in order to be delicious.
So watch this space for student friendly cooking
Until next time
Ellie x
P.S. whilst not a vegetarian myself I am going to try and put a decent number of vegetarian recipes up so there is something for everyone. Also you would be amazed at how much money you can save having a meat free week!
No comments:
Post a Comment