Welcome world
Since I have so much time on my hands at the moment I recently delved into the depths of Pinterests trying to find something to do and discovered the D.I.Y. pins and fell a little bit in love. All these amazing things made out of bits and pieces lying round the house? all you need is glue, paint and a ball of wool? It looks amazing! Can I do it to? I CAN do it to! or maybe not
So as it turns out whilst you don't need much in terms of materials to create these D.I.Y. masterpieces there is one thing you do need that you just can't buy, Talent, and preferably a steady hand.
My first discovery were these gold champagne flutes
I thought this would be a great way to decorate the cheap champagne flute I bought in Ikea (because drinking anything out of a champagne flute makes it feel more special) and so off I toddled to B&Q to get spray paint and masking tape and a bottle of white spirits, just in case.
Now the first thing you should know about spray paint is that whilst it goes where you aim it, is also covers everything in a 2 meter radius. Fortunately with a bit of white spirit it come off most things (fortunately this includes the dining table which I may have forgotten to cover with newspaper) but not everything, my leggings are still suspiciously sparkly.
The second thing I learnt trying this project was that no matter how much masking tape you use, read as covering the entire top half of the glass inside and out, somehow you still don't get the beautifully clean lines shown in the picture above.
Whilst all in all I have not ended up with the beautiful festive looking glasses the instructions promised they did turn out half bad and with a little white spirits and cotton wool they look perfectly presentable, so presentable in fact that a visiting friend asked where we had bought them! If we do it again I'm thinking that it might be a better idea to do it outside, less clearing up and by the end we were all feeling a little funny from the fumes, and to try and make sure the masking tape is on more smoothly to try and stop stray bits of paint escaping up the glass.
Until next time
Ellie

No comments:
Post a Comment