Sunday, 30 November 2014

Kitchen Cupboard Essentials #StudentsCanCook

Welcome World



 Before I start posting recipes for people to try I thought it could be worth putting together a list of kitchen cupboard essentials.

Whilst everyone has different ideas of what is essential for cooking these are things that I like to make sure I always have in. They’re all things that keep for ages and you only use a little bit of at a time. When first stocking your cupboard it can feel like a bit of an investment but on the whole they’re not things you’ll need to replace all that often but will use a lot. 

Herbs and Spices
While my spice draw is by many accounts a little excessive there are a few things which are entirely essential and I use all the time
·         Chilli powder – I tend to have hot chilli powder but it’s a matter of personal taste and mild chilli powder will work just as well if you’re not a fan of spicy food but still want that little bit of warmth from the chilli
·         Paprika -  I love the warm and slightly spicy taste of paprika as well as its versatility.
·         Turmeric – Turmeric is a key ingredient in lots of curries as well as in quite a few Spanish dishes, its used both for its flavour and its gorgeous colour, but it does stain most things it touches particularly if wet so be careful.
·         Nutmeg – I am a big fan of nutmeg particularly for adding a kick to roasted root vegetables and for adding a bit more depth to creamy sauces.
·         Oregano – The quintessential Italian herb and a brilliant addition to any tomato sauce
·         Cumin – a warm and earthy spice which makes a huge difference in a chilli or lasagne
·         Marjoram – a dried herb used a lot in Italian food it can also be used to make a tea which whilst not the greatest tasting thing in the world works wonders on a soar throat.

Tins and Sauces
Tins and sauces make up a good basic pantry and can form the basis for a lot of meals whilst also being cheap and tasty. But just to be clear when I say tins I mean tinned tomatoes or tinned tuna, not spaghetti hoops or baked beans.
·         Tinned Tomatoes – One of the most versatile and economical of all store cup board ingredients I would recommend going for the ones which are chopped and in juice.
·         Tinned tune – a quick and easy way to make a healthy and substantial lunch.
·         Tinned sweetcorn – sweet and crunchy and can be eaten straight out of the tin
·         Tomato Puree - makes tinned tomatoes even more tomatoey
·         Soya Sauce - A true essential if you want to make almost any Asian inspired dish, I would recommend light Soya as it is more versatile and also if you can I'd get it from an Asian supermarket, its much better value
h     Tinned peaches - I just have a soft spot for them

hThese are the essentials that I've come up with off the top of my head based on the food I cook alot, let me know if you think I've missed anything that should be on here.

Until next time
Ellie x

No comments:

Post a Comment