Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Halloumi and Red Onion salad #StudentsCanCook

Welcome World

I live with two guys and have spent the last few months being told that a salad is not a meal. Now by salad I think they mean lettuce with some dressing and if you're hungry that probably wouldn't fill you up. When I thin salad though I tend to go Ceasar Salad or Pasta salad or my current favourite, Halloumi and Red Onion. It filling and flavoursome and requires negligible amounts of actual cooking, all you need to do is grill the slices of halloumi. I will quite often have this as a quick lunch if I pop home between lectures.

Ingredients:
  • Baby leaf salad
  • Red Pepper, sliced into batons
  • Red Onion, sliced
  • Garlic Croutons - I like to make my own and keep them in a bag in the cupboard for using on salads
  • Halloumi cheese
  • lemon juice
  • olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

  1. Slice the halloumi into slices about 1/2cm thick and drizzle the halloumi with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper on both sides and stick the halloumi under the grill allowing it to brown on each side, flip it over half way through so both sides cook evenly. The second side will cook much faster than the first.
  2. Chop the halloumi into cubes and put to one side. On a plate/in a bowl put your salad leaves, red onion and red pepper and drizzle them with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. toss the salad so it is evenly dressed
  3. Put the croutons and halloumi on top of your salad  

Ta Da you have a quick and healthy lunch. If you want to take this with you as a lunch to have on the go mix the oil and lemon dressing in a small pot and put it on just before you eat to stop your salad going soggy.


 Until next time
Ellie x

No comments:

Post a Comment